Saturday, March 14, 2015

Tomatillo Chicken and Green Chile Rice


So I just found out in December that I have what is called Celiac Disease. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disease that prevents nutrients from food from being absorbed in your small intestine. This stoppage of nutrient absorption is triggered by gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley.

I'm sure you've seen all the "gluten-free" things at the store or the gluten-free diets that are advertised to "help you lose weight" and other sort of fad-ish thing. I've even heard people say, "Well I'm not sure what gluten is but it must taste good because they are taking it out of everything." As a dietitian, that statement makes me chuckle.

I have always been, and probably even more so now, been of the opinion (based on scientific evidence) that unless you have an intolerance, allergy, or medical reason, you do not need to cut out gluten from your diet. Going gluten-free can actually make you GAIN weight and you LOSE some very valuable nutrient sources.

But anyway, due to the above statement, I am going gluten-free since my gut basically goes into anaphylactic shock every time I eat the tiniest bit of gluten. And it hurts and causes lots of very painful symptoms.


Since December, I have had to get really creative finding gluten-free recipes that will be delicious so that Kyle doesn't feel like he's missing out while trying to care for my new restriction.

This chicken does NOT disappoint in the flavor department. Neither does this cheesy delicious rice.

I originally found the chicken recipe on Pinterest from THIS website. SO you know in usual fashion I made it my own. I made it a little healthier and corrected a few ingredients that I wasn't sure were gluten-free or not. I'm still learning all the ins-and-outs of gluten-free-ness.


All that's required for this chicken is to mix everything up the night before, let it marinate overnight, and then pop it in the oven when I get home from work. I definitely like easy.

Then this rice.

THIS RICE.


My aunt made a version of this at Christmas when we were visiting. It was SOOOO good, but, as usual, I am always thinking how to repeat it and make it better. 

So I made a few changes to the original recipe and made it super yummy and super cheesy! 

And may I just say, the leftovers are almost better than the real thing. My co-workers were very jealous of my delicious tasting food. 

{As per common sense, always check to make sure the ingredients you are using are gluten-free.}

I hope you enjoy these yummy recipes as much as we did! Check them out below or over on the recipe page!

Much love, 
Kelli


Tomatillo Chicken

by Kelli Gilbert
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake entree gluten-free chicken
Ingredients (6 servings)
  • 6 oz plain greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup mayo
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 package ranch dressing mix
  • 2½ teaspoons garlic
  • 1 tbsp cilantro
  • 3 tomatillos, husked and chopped
  • ½ teaspoon lime juice
  • 1-2 lbs. chicken tenderloins
Instructions
Blend together all ingredients except chicken until almost smooth.
Place chicken tenderloins into a flat casserole dish. Top with 1 cup of marinade.
Cover and chill at least 30 minutes or overnight (overnight is best!).
Preheat oven to 375.
Get rid of marinade and place chicken tenderloins side by side in a shallow casserole dish. Top with additional marinade to just cover the top of chicken and keep moist while cooking.
Bake 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Top with additional dressing and serve with rice, I recommend green chile rice, if desired.
Powered by Recipage
Green Chile Rice

by Kelli Gilbert
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Keywords: bake side gluten-free
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
  • 4 cups cooked white rice
  • 2 cups sour cream
  • A dash of heavy whipping cream or milk
  • 2 4oz cans diced green chiles
  • 6 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
  • 4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese
Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
Pour into a lightly greased 2 quart casserole dish.
Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment